Selecting your Land Hermit Crab
1) Avoid land hermit crabs that are sluggish and partially or completely out of their shells and are loose when you pick them up.
2) Select Hermit crabs that are heavy when picked up.
3) If there are any dead Hermit crabs in their enclosure do not buy any from that enclosure.
4) Hermit crabs missing limbs or ends of limbs.(unless you plan on rescuing and taking him home so that he can regenerate his lost limbs)
5) Pick land hermit crabs that are active and vigorous.
6) Inspect for mites.
7) The size of your Hermit crab because large Hermit crabs require at least a 20-gallon tank. A 10 gallon can house about 6-7 small Hermit crabs.
8) Only purchase a hermit crab from a pet shop that is currently housing the crabs in an appropriate habitat. Never purchase a crab in a cup or any other cruel or inappropriate container.